Using GURU API, districts can authorize third party applications (vendors) to retrieve live data from and/or update live data in the eSD system, for all or individual records. To manage access, administrators will assign permissions and roles to the vendors.
Required Permissions: Module Level Permissions > Special Permissions > GURU Admin
- Go to Roles.
For each district, at the District level, eSD has created the default Role of District Admin, with Access Level Administrator (this includes all students in the district). This default Role can be edited, but cannot be renamed or deleted, since various API actions are tied to it.
Administrators must define the API Permissions for the existing District Admin Role, and assign Users to the Role. eSD recommends enabling all API Permissions for the District Admin Role. Permissions can be defined via the Action menu per role.
- The Action tab also contains the option to add users to the Role. Select Role and then select the checkboxes to the left of the user name to assign them to the role.
Administrators can Edit default Roles. Default Roles should NOT be deleted.
Assign Users Roles
Administrators can assign Users to Roles from the Roles page or the Users page. Users can be assigned to multiple roles.
- Go to Users.
- Select Action for the User to whom you’d like to assign the Role. In this example, we are assigning the Eschooldata Administrator use the District Admin role. The admin user is denoted by a Star to the left of the username.
- Choose Assign Roles.
The eSD Admin user must have the District Admin role to successfully use the API. This account is denoted with a star icon next to the username.
- Toggle the applicable Role(s), then select Ok. District Admin must be toggled on for the Eschooldata Administrator.
API Permissions define the specific data Resources and Actions that are available to the Role. To define or change the API permissions for a Role, follow the steps below.
- Go to Roles.
- Select Action for the Role you’d like to define or change.
- Choose API Permissions.
- Enable the applicable API Permissions. There are multiple pages of API Permissions. To enable all permissions on all pages, click the “x” icon on the header row. Select the “x” icon for a Resource to enable all Actions for that Resource.
- Select Ok when done making changes.
The Read Action allows the Role to export data from the eSD system. The Create, Delete, and Update Actions allow the Role to import, remove and change data in the eSD system.