GURU uses import Profiles to import data into the eSD main application. Before setting up a new profile, define the Servers and Storage that will be used for the data import.
Required Permissions: Define Dataflow Automation settings
Where to Start
- Go to Profile.
- Select Add New Profile.
The Profile Wizard has two tabs: the Profile Information tab and the Data Format tab. The Profile Information tab is where users configure the import process and import template. The Data Format tab is where users define the import file format and map the import fields.
- Enter a Name for the profile.
- Add a Description as needed to provide context to the dataflow.
- Choose an Entity Type from the menu, which defines the type of data being imported. For more information on entity types, visit Import File Format Requirements.
- Choose Import as the Direction to have data brought into eSchoolData.
- Choose an Import Option. Overwrite conflict records will delete existing records and create new records. Ignore conflict records will skip conflict records.
- Select if the Data Transfer is Interactive or Remote Server.
- Select Interactive if the district will be doing manual imports.
- Select Remote Server if the district will create a zap to automatically import files. It is best practice to use Remote Server. Server Storage: This option applies when Remote Server selected. Choose the location of import data; this is populated from the district’s defined Storage locations.
In the File Information section, select the Import Template. The Import Template’s filename and extension must match the third-party product’s filename and extension. Allowable file formats are CSV (.csv) (preferred), Excel (.xlsx or .xls) and Text (.txt). The Template allows the end user to configure OR Map the fields that are required for the import to succeed.
- Select Next to continue.
To accommodate vendors who modify the filename with each extract (i.e., include date or other information), the Import Template’s filename can include wildcards: ? (for a single character) or * (for multiple characters).
- Type defaults to the format of the selected Import Template (CSV, Excel, Flat File)
- Column names in the first data row defaults to Enabled; disable it if your file does not have column names in the first row and specify the Number of Columns. Set the Number of Columns to match the number of fields in the Import Template.
- In the Field Mapping section, map the system fields to the applicable import fields. When the Import Template contains field names in the first row, the system will automatically recognize any import fields (on right) that match the system fields (on left). Select the applicable system fields for the unmatched import fields.
- If an import field or column does not have a matching system field, the data is not required for the import. Select the Delete icon to remove any unmatched fields or columns from the Field Mapping. Fields and columns that have been deleted from the Field Mapping will be ignored during the import.
- Select Finish to save the Profile.